Friday, January 27, 2012
Today, I replaced some failing capacitors on an HP Photosmart C6180 printer. Four TEAPO electrolytic capacitors showed signs of failure. Three were 330 uF 10 V and one was 680 uF 6.3 V. The procedure took about an hour due to the through hole capacitors being more difficult to remove than anticipated.
The initial instructions I found to do this fix was on the web site www.fixyourownprinter.com in a 09/22/2010 posting by user dodo105: CLICK HERE Thanks to this Internet poster for providing the repair information.
Tools one needs are Torex screw driver (I used a Craftsman T8 x 2 1/2), long nose pliers to grip capacitors, wire cutters to clip capacitor leads, camera to photograph original part placements, soldering iron, thin line solder, desoldering tool, and scissors to remove new capacitor packaging..
First step was opening the printer lid and taking off the side panel of the printer. Three torex screws needed to be removed as seen in the next two photographs. Inspect plastic pieces for clips to unlatch as well on the top, bottom, and sides of printer.
Three plastic sections removed from printer.
I next removed five Torex screws keeping the circuit board in place. I also unlatched four wire harness connectors to allow the board to fold over better allowing easier access to capacitors.
Component side of circuit board now shown.
The arrows mark the capacitors to be replaced. I believe the locations were: C613, C614, C660, and C662.
This next picture shows the board after two capacitors have been replaced, one is removed and awaiting replacement. The desoldering process consisted of heating the two leads on solder side and removing as much solder possible. Next gripping the bad capacitor with the pliers on one side of the board and heating the connections on the other allowing it to be pulled off. Once the capacitor was off, heating the holes some more and using the desoldering sucker to remove excess solder.
When placing new capacitors remember the + and - polarity and properly placed them on the marked circuit board.
Once all the capacitors are replaced, the leads are trimmed and the soldering iron is used to touch up the connections.
Picture of bad capacitors removed.
Pictures of new Panasonic replacement capacitors.
Printer is turned on and test pages printed. It is then burned in overnight to make sure power is good.
Section of self test page.